My Long sea worshipping festival was recognized as part of national intangible cultural heritage in 2013 by Ministry of Culture, Sport and Tourism. The festival has been organized for nearly 100 years and attracts thousands of visitors every year. It is also known as Nginh Ong festival, one of the traditional folk festivals in Tra Vinh province. It is held from the 10th to the 12th day of fifth lunar month every year in Cau Ngang District, and this year it falls on June 7 to 9.
The festival aims to offer fishermen’s thanks to the Sky, Earth, Sea and ancestors who made great contribution to village and nation and pray for a fishing season with timely rains and favorable weather, as well as bumper fish hauls . The origin of the festival is from the fishermen’s religious belief of worshipping the God Nam Hai (the Whale). The festival takes place in the shrine of Ba Chua Xu (the Local Goddess’s Shrine). It will feature several ceremonies including Welcoming the Whale (procession on the sea), Main Ceremony (in the Local Goddess’s Shrine), Welcoming Five Directions (procession marching everywhere in the town), and Driving away the Evil Spirit (procession on the sea), traditional games such as boat racing and walking on stilts, and music and dance performances.
On June 9 (May 12 on the lunar calendar), a mock ship carrying offerings and the wishes of local fishermen was sent to the sea in the last ritual of the festival. More than 20,000 tourists have flocked here from different localities in neighboring areas to take part in the festival ceremonies and join folk games like rowboat race, sailboat race, opera singing and so on.
- New printable Vietnam e-visa to be available by January 2017
- Vietnam to issue 1 year visas for US passport holders in May 2016
- 40 percent off stamping fees for Vietnam visa since November 23, 2015
- A few tips for the camping with your kids
- Various activities held in Monkey Island in Nha Trang city to celebrate Tet Holiday
- 8 new tours in Central region in 2015
- Five hotels in Vietnam ranked as the world’s best services 2015
- Discovering beautiful natural landscapes of Trang An
- A tour to visit Hue in one day
- Ho Chi Minh City hold Spring Festival 2015