Son Tra is the name of a peninsula and a mountain located in Da Nang City, just 10km to the northeast of city centre. The beauty of Son Tra is featured by the harmony of mountain, forest and sea.
Son Tra is considered as “the precious pearl” of Da Nang City with amazing natural landscapes and seascape. Spending one day in here, you will experience various different attractions, from stunning sandy beaches to primeval forests, from artificial impressions to diverse ecosystem. The Peninsula is famous for its plentiful plants and fauna as well as the attractive scenery. It is said that fairies used to come here for singing, dancing and playing chess so Son Tra is also called Tien Sa (Fairies’ landing place). On this mountain, there still remain more than 30km² of natural forests, nearly 300 types of plants and several hundred kinds of fauna, including rare animal.
Especially, Son Tra mountain is home of hundred species of monkey which many of them are endangered. Among that, there are 12 herds of brown-legged (or five colors) langurs. This is extremely rare species with only 200 individuals living in Vietnam and in SonTra forests. In addition, the mountain has many rare species of monkey such as yellow monkey, red-faced monkey, muntjac, wild boar and musk-deer. More than that, on the northeast of Son Tra, there is a giant banyan tree with dozens of root spanning down to ground.
Like other beaches in South Central Coast region, the beaches in Son Tra Peninsula are featured by turquoise water, clean and white sand stretch and charming surroundings. The beaches in here is so awesome for swimming, sun bathing, fishing, sightseeing and other water activities such as sky surfing, wind surfing, etc. You can visit Bai Rang Beach, Tien Sa beach, Da Den beach, But beach, Xep beach, Da Beach, Nam beach, Bac beach. Moreover, the area stretching from Hon Chao to the South of Hai Van is home of 191 coral species, 3 species of sea-grass, 72 species of sea-weed, 23 kinds of echinodermata and various colorful fishes, which is ideal for scuba diving or snorkeling.
On the top of Son Tra mountain is a huge statue of Son Tra Quan Am (Goddess of Mercy) and Linh Ung Pagoda. The statue is the highest one of Goddess of Mercy in Vietnam with 67m high. The statue is positioned on a lotus shape platform of 35m in diameter. There are 17 storeys inside the statue. Each storey has 21 Buddha statues. There is also a stone chess board built on the top of the mount. From this place, you can have an amazing view of the whole city of Da Nang, the offshore ocean, Ba Na Hill, Chua Hill and Hai Van Pass.
In addition, there are some temples and pagoda in Son Tra with impressive architecture that you can come to visit. In short, spending one day in Son Tra, you will have chance to discover the natural beauty of both sea and land and enjoy the very peaceful and fresh atmosphere.
- Vietnam’s best honeymoon destinations
- Visiting Bau Trang in Mui Ne in summer to see beautiful lotuses
- 5 popular drinks for hot summer days in Sai Gon
- Ben Tre Night Market – the interesting destination for sightseeing and shopping
- Visiting Linh Phuoc Pagoda – an outstanding architecture made by glass bottles
- New printable Vietnam e-visa to be available by January 2017
- Vietnam to issue 1 year visas for US passport holders in May 2016
- 40 percent off stamping fees for Vietnam visa since November 23, 2015
- A few tips for the camping with your kids
- Various activities held in Monkey Island in Nha Trang city to celebrate Tet Holiday
- 8 new tours in Central region in 2015
- Five hotels in Vietnam ranked as the world’s best services 2015
- Discovering beautiful natural landscapes of Trang An
- A tour to visit Hue in one day
- Ho Chi Minh City hold Spring Festival 2015
Previous post: Thien Mu Pagoda – the best ancient pagoda in Vietnam
Next post: Discovering Ly Son Island